Do you dream of writing the next Harry Potter but are haunted by the struggle stories of J.K Rowling? Don’t fret, take the Platform 9 ¾ of Kindle E-books. It will help you leave behind the muggle world of publishers and agents, and help you land straight in the world of easy self-publishing.
A Kindle E-book is like a traditional book, just without its worst parts. (After submitting the manuscript, it takes only 24-48 hours for Amazon to publish your E-book. Compare this to the 13.5 months it takes on average for a traditional book to hit the shelves.)
Additional perks of publishing with Amazon is that it will get you the best possible audience (It is the #1 retailer for books worldwide) and you can earn substantially well.
But as easy as publishing your own Kindle E-book is, you will still need to keep a few things in mind. And this is where we step in.
Read our Easy Guide to make the most (money) out of your efforts.
The journey of becoming a Rockstar Kindle Author is a 3-step process:
- Write Your Book
Put as many efforts as you would in writing a normal book, although keep in mind that the audience for kindle books is slightly different. Explore the Kindle Best Sellers List to understand what they did right.
- Format the Book for Kindle
After you are done writing your masterpiece, you need to format it for Kindle. You can use the free open-sourced software Calibre or you can simply save your book as .docx /.doc file.
Amazon also accepts ePub, plain text, Mobipocket, HTML, PDF, and rich text format.
Also, don’t go crazy on the fonts. Use Arial or Times New Roman, otherwise, Kindle won’t read it. You can also read more about formatting on Amazon’s KDP Help Centre.
- Design the Cover
This is an important step to get the right audience for your book, so don’t neglect it. You can use design websites like 99 Designs, 100 Covers, etc. or you can use Amazon’s free Cover Creator.
If you want to take the creative reins in your own hands, you can use sites like Canva and Stencil.
Now that the heavy lifting is done, follow these 8 easy steps to become a PUBLISHED Author!
- Go to kdp.amazon.com and Sign In. (make a free Amazon account if you don’t have one)
- In the ‘Update’ section, fill in your Tax Information. (You can’t publish your E-Book without it)
- Click ‘Finished’ and return to the main page. Your profile is complete!
- Click “Bookshelf” and then add ‘Title’, ‘Book Description’, ‘Categories’ and ‘Keywords’ This is the make or break part. Make sure all your descriptions are up to mark. Choose keywords (Amazon allows only 7) that are famous yet not too crowded, especially if this is your first book.
- Similarly, choose the categories and subcategories carefully (relevant yet not too competitive). You can use Amazon’s Autofill Feature to understand what the customers usually search for.
- Upload the Cover File (JPEG format) and the Book File.
- Use the ‘Look Inside’ feature to see how your Book looks. This feature is often the first thing your prospective readers will click on when checking out your book.
- Advance to our favourite section, ‘Rights and Pricing’. Choose ‘Worldwide Rights’ to sell your book worldwide.
- Set your royalty rate. You can select to receive either a 35% or a 70% royalty rate.
- Click ‘Save and Publish’ (sweet!)
Popular opinion is that a 35% rate is only better if your book is huge because you will be charged close to $0.15 (~Rs.12) per MB of your file on the 70% rate.
And for optimal profits, you should choose a price between $2.99- $9.99 (Rs.230 – Rs.760)
Most likely, you’ll make more money by choosing the 70% royalty rate. But there are a few nitty-gritties involved, and we will advise you to read up the Amazon KDP’s Help Centre.
This being said, you can always adjust your prices. You can gradually increase the prices but at one point, your profits will start going down. This is a good indication of your optimal price.
You can also use these parameters to set your price:
- Your competitors’ prices.
- The size of your followers.
- The size of your book.
- The quality of reviews.
Amazon will email you when the book is ready, which usually takes up to 24–48 hours.
Now that your amazing salad is prepared, you need to garnish it.
1. Reviews, reviews, and reviews!
The fate of your book lies in the hands of reviews (sometimes, unfortunately, more than the content itself) because they are visible right below the book.
Without substantial reviews, customers can’t trust a book they cannot flip through.
Try emailing your friends, family and colleagues asking them for a genuine review. You can also use storycartel.com for legitimate reviews.
Curate a personal brand on social media. An engaging presence on social networking sites will only help your cause. Send out email newsletters, write blogs etc.
The more actively you add value to others’ lives, the more receptive they will be to your services.
Other E-book Platforms:
You can try Nook reader from Barnes & Noble, Apple’s iBooks Store, Google Play and Smashwords. But nothing beats Amazon. It reserves your rights worldwide, offers customer support and (again) it is the best retailer for books worldwide.
We hope we have kindled enough fire in you to publish your very own E-book. All the best! And while writing your best piece if you need to earn some extra money on the side, join EarnKaro. It is a simple deal sharing platform that helps you earn money by sharing profit links for products. Once your acquaintances or friends shop through that link, you earn a profit!
Also check out: